Today is the two year anniversary of my mastectomies and start of my reconstruction. It’s been quite a journey and while I had many complications and it took awhile to be completely done, it’s only a distant memory now. While going through that spring with constant pain and multiple surgeries it seemed too much to handle but looking back, it’s now just a blur.
So what is it like now? Pros and Cons:
- I have little pec strength.
- My chest still feels tight most times, especially when I get cold.
- There is no feeling in the skin under my arms and on parts of my back so when I get an itch, I can’t scratch it!
- Small, repetitive muscle movements, (like scrubbing a pan) make my pecs twitch and feel funny.
- My chest muscles contract and feel tight.
- I miss the feeling of natural breasts when sleeping on my sides.
- I don’t think about BRCA+ hardly at all anymore.
- I never have to wear a bra but choose to wear a camisole with blouses and certain shirts. T-shirts=never!
- My surveillance is minimal (yearly exam and continued self exams)
- I no longer have periods. (due to ooph) Now that I no longer have breast tissue I was allowed to go on HRT….
- I cut my cancer risk down to almost nothing.
- It’s in the rear view mirror… No regrets!!!
So, if you’re reading this and are just beginning your journey, hang in there! There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it’s so very worth it!